What is the Coronavirus?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new respiratory illness. It has not previously been seen in humans.
This type of coronavirus is also known as 2019-nCov or novel coronavirus.
It can take up to 14 days for the symptoms of coronavirus to appear.
These symptoms may include:
- a cough
- shortness of breath
- breathing difficulties
- fever (high temperature)
Coronavirus can also cause more severe illness including:
- severe acute respiratory syndrome
- kidney failure
Risk of catching coronavirus
There has been no confirmed case of coronavirus in Ireland.
The risk of getting coronavirus in Ireland is low.
If there is a case here, health professionals will try to contact anyone who has been in contact with the infected person.
If you are not contacted, you are extremely unlikely to catch coronavirus.
You do not need to follow any advice in relation to coronavirus if you have:
- not been to mainland China
- not been in contact with a person who has coronavirus
- not been to a healthcare facility where patients with coronavirus were treated
- Not been to an affected area.
However, you should phone the HSE Phoneline on 1850 24 1850 if in the past 14 days you’ve been:
- to mainland China
- to an affected area
- in contact with a person who has coronavirus
- in a hospital or healthcare centre where people are being treated for coronavirus
What do I need to know?
If you have or develop any of the symptoms above within the next 14 days:
• self-isolate – this means stay at home. Try keep away from other people, especially older people, those with long-term medical conditions, immunosuppressed people, or pregnant women
• phone the helpline 1850 24 1850
Tell them your symptoms and that you have been to a coronavirus (COVID-19)affected area* in the past 14 days.
DO NOT GO to your GP or Emergency Department unless told to do so by the GP or Emergency Department. PLEASE Phone first.
Things you can do to protect yourself from getting coronavirus
• Wash your hands properly and regularly.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the bend of your elbow when you cough or sneeze.
*Coronavirus (COVID-19) affected areas
Four regions in Italy
o Emilia-Romagna o Veneto
The HSE Phoneline is open Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and 10am – 5pm on Saturday and Sunday
If you have general questions about the Corona Virus, please visit the HSE website https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html
If you have specific questions about you or a member of your family and wish to speak to someone about these concerns, then please RING the practice 051 370057 and we will advise you over the phone. DO NOT COME DOWN TO THE PRACTICE unless we advise you to come in. This is to ensure you get the best treatment and to reduce the risk of infection to anyone else.